1970 - 1979 timeline
Events in italics are of special importance to the community health movement.
- Drugs (Price Control) Order, 1970 promulgated.
- Population Council of India formed.
- Coordinated Agency for Health Planning formed which was the precursor of the Voluntary Health Association of India
- Family Pension Scheme for industrial workers initiated.
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, 1971 passed.
- National Service Bill passed. Government now authorised to compel medical personnel below 30 years of age to work in under served rural areas.
- National Programme for Minimum Needs incorporated into 5th Five Year Plan.
- Kartar Singh Committee report recommends new cadre of grassroots level Multi Purpose Health Workers.
- 5th Five Year Plan launched. Rs. 796 crores allotted to health and Rs. 516 crores allotted to family planning.
- 'Revised strategy' for malaria control.
- Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 passed.
- Medico Friend Circle formed.
- Voluntary Health Association of India formed.
- India becomes 'small pox free' on 5 July 1975.
- Shrivastav Committee submits report on medical education.
- Integrated Child Development Scheme launched.
- Health For The Millions magazine launched by VHAI.
- New population policy announced.
- National Programme for Prevention of Blindness inaugurated.
- National Institute of Health and Family Planning formed.
- Rural Health Scheme launched. Training of community health workers started.
- The first Manual For Community Health Workers published which includes chapters on other systems of medicine.
- Expanded Programme for Immunisation launched.
- National Health Policy drafted.
- First OPEC price rise
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development conference and G77 leads call for New International Economic Order in May 1974.
- Last case of small pox.
- Ivan Illich publishes Medical Nemesis: Limits To Medicine, a sweeping critique of modern health care.
- The Declaration of Alma-Ata adopted at the International Conference on Primary Health Care, Almaty , Kazakhstan. It was the first international declaration underlining the importance of primary health care.
- Deng Xiaoping initiates modernisation in China
The late 1970's were witness to the onset of stagflation, the end of the long boom and emergence of monetarism.