1980 - 1989 timeline
Events in italics are of special importance to the community health movement.
- 6th Five Year Plan launched.
- Health For All: An Alternative Strategy, the report of the ICSSR - ICMR Working Group on Health For All published.
- New 20 Point Programme announced.
- National Health Policy, 1982 announced.
- Guinea Worm Eradication Programme launched.
- National Leprosy Control Programme renamed National Leprosy Eradication Programme.
- Community health vision for India defined by CHAI in dialogue with St. John's Medical College, VHAI, CMAI, MFC, ACHAN, Indian Social Institute and SEARCH.
- 7th Five Year Plan launched.
- Health and Family Planning Services in India by Debabar Banerji published.
- Universal Immunisation Programme launched.
- Lepers Act, 1898 repealed.
- 20 Point Plan restructured.
- Blood Safety Programme launched.
- Escalating interest rates, debt trap sprung.
- Asian Community Health Action Network formed.
- ‘Adjustment with a Human Face’
- Break up of the Soviet Union