1990 - 1999 timeline
- Control of Acute Respiratory Infection Programme initiated as a pilot project in 14 districts.
- 8th Five Year Plan launched.
- Child Survival and Safe Motherhood Programme launched.
- Infant Milk Substitute, Feeding Bottles and Infant Foods (Regulation of Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 1992 passed.
- State of India's Health report published by VHAI.
- Plague epidemic in Surat, Gujarat.
- Panchayat Raj Act, 1994 comes into force.
- Integrated Child Development Services renamed Integrated Mother and Child Development Services (IMCD).
- Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994 passed.
- Expert committee on malaria submits report and recommended guidelines for Malaria Action Plan.
- Independent Commission on health in India set up.
- Family planning programmes made target free.
- Pre-conception and Pre-natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act, 1994 passed.
- Report of Expert Committee on Public Health Systems published.
- 9th Five Year Plan launched.
- Reproductive and Child Health Programme launched.
- National Family Health Survey 2 undertaken.
- National Malaria Eradication Programme renamed National Anti-Malaria Programme.
- Phase 2 of National AIDS Control Programme launched.
- USTR attacks Thai administration over pharmaceuticals policies
- WHO: ‘Health Dimensions of Economic Reform’
- World Bank: ‘Investing in Health’ (virtuous cycle story, SAPs compatible with health development!, new interventionism)
- World Trade Organisation established
- MAI saga - OECD drives for MAI; defeated by social movements (1998) (note role of NGOs and internet; note also continuing push in WTO under ‘Singapore issues’)
- Sth African parallel import legislation passed, challenged
- PRSPs implemented (new and improved SAPs)
- WTO in Seattle: outrageous process; dramatic protests