2000 - 2009 timeline
- First National Health Assembly results in the formation of the Jan Swasthya Abhiyan, the Indian circle of the People's Health Movement network.
- National Population Policy 2000 announced.
- Report of the Task Force on Health and Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka published.
- National Rural Health Mission inaugurated.
- Report of Task Force on Medical Education for National Rural Health Mission published.
- Report of Sub Group on Education for Community Health of Working Group on Medical Education of National Knowledge Commission completed.
- USTR withdraws threats to Thailand over compulsory licensing of DDI after 12 years of pressure
- People’s Health Assembly and People’s Charter for Health
- April 2001: Norway Conference (WHO accepts differential pricing)
- April 2001: Defeat of big pharma in South Africa (note role of MSF and global social movements)
- June 2001: CMH Report (warning about health and stability; virtuous cycle story repeated, ‘CTC model’ and scaled up interventionism; reliance on increased aid (and GFATM) and PRSPs)
- Sept 2001: 9/11
- Nov 2001: Doha and the Statement on Public Health (Para 6 and compulsory licensing; note rearguard action by US)
- Oct 2002: Bristol Myers Squib defeat in Thai DDI case
- Mar 2003: Invasion of Iraq (US unilateralism; widespread opposition; note limits to US power)
- Oct 2003: Negotiations for US Thai FTA commence (at risk: comp licensing, data access, extended IPRs)
- Nov 2003: Cancun: G22 stands up to G7; deadlock over agriculture and ‘Singapore issues’; US moves to bilateral and regional FTAs
- Nov 2003: Miami FTAA-lite (US knocked back by Latin America)
- Jan 2004: IMF report critical of US twin deficits
- Jan 2007: Emergence of sub-prime mortgage crisis
- Dec 2008: Global recession