Portal: Community health internships and medical electives in India
Community health and other rural internships
- The Society for Community Health Awareness, Research and Action has a history of working with young people interested in community health. Both it's Bangalore based unit, Community Health Cell and it's Bhopal based unit Centre for Public Health and Equity offer a 9 month paid internship in community health for those interested.
- Swades ki Khoj - Swades ki Khoj is a programme run by the Central Himalayan Rural Action Group (Chirag). It offers graduates under the age of 28 the opportunity to spend a year living and working in a rural area to discover rural India and themselves and to use their knowledge and skills to bring about social change.
- Gandhi Fellowship - The Gandhi Fellowship is an intensive 2-year programme organised by the Kaivalya Education Foundation that helps talented young people develop the leadership skills to cause positive change in society. The Fellowship challenges these young people to support primary school headmasters to turn around their failing schools, thus improving the quality of education provided in India’s government schools. By taking on real challenges and solving ‘live’ problems that exist today in schools across India, Fellows learn the generic skills that will allow them to lead change on a wide range of issues in other sectors. In the process Fellows are themselves supported to discover what they are passionate about, what they want to do with their lives and how to go about converting their dreams into reality.
- ICICI Fellows - ICICI Fellows is a 2 year intensive, experiential learning programme aimed at training civil society leaders.
Medical elective placements for foreign students
There are a number of big city hospitals that offer placements for foreign medical students who wish to pursue an elective/ volunteer placement in India. This website however, hopes to focus on placements with community based organisations where the opportunity to see community health work in action is greater. Visiting Portal: Community health projects and Category: Community based organisations for details of organisations profiled on this site.
Organisations that facilitate foreign student electives in India
- Medical Student Electives - The Medical Student Electives (MSE) programme of the UK based Charities Advisory Trust offers medical students elective placements at ASHWINI in Gudalur, Tamil Nadu and SYVM in H.D. Kotte, Karnataka.
- Projects Abroad - Projects Abroad is a UK based organisation that arranges volunteer placements mostly around the Madurai area in Tamil Nadu.
- MedicsAway - Medics Away is a UK based organisation that arranges medical elective placements mostly in Kerala.