Portal: Community health internships and medical electives in India
There are a number of big city hospitals that offer placements for foreign medical students who wish to pursue an elective/ volunteer placement in India. This portal however, focuses on placements with community based organisations where the opportunity to see community health work in action is greater.
Projects in India that offer internships / electives
This is a rather incomplete list at present and we hope to expands it in the coming months.
- The Banyan, Chennai
- Tribal Health Initiative, Sittilingi
- ACCORD, Gudalur
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra, B.R. Hills
- Ashwini Hospital, Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement, H.D. Kotte
Organisations that facilitate foreign student electives in India
- Medical Student Electives - The Medical Student Electives (MSE) programme of the UK based Charities Advisory Trust offers medical students elective placements at ASHWINI in Gudalur, Tamil Nadu and SYVM in H.D. Kotte, Karnataka.
- Projects Abroad - Projects Abroad is a UK based organisation that arranges volunteer placements mostly around the Madurai area in Tamil Nadu.
- MedicsAway - Medics Away is a UK based organisation that arranges medical elective placements mostly in Kerala.