Portal: Exploring community health
The Exploring Community Health portal is an attempt to create a a directory of sources of information, contacts and ideas for students and others new to and curious about the field of community health and the Health For All movement in India.
The directory is divided into two main sections although this does not imply that the suggestions in the first section have to be followed before moving on to the second. The first section, Getting Informed, deals mainly with suggestions on how one can get better informed about community health and the Health For All movement in general and the specific issues involved. The second section, Take Action, deals with suggestions on how one can get actively involved with the movement based on what one has seen and understood.
Remember that this site is built by mass collaboration. If during your exploration of community health you come across information that should be in this portal then find out how you can get involved at the Community portal.
Meet people involved with the movement
Most people involved in community health in India are quite student friendly and are willing to take time to speak to students and other newcomers about the work they do and the issues they are involved in. We are in the process of contacting a number of such individuals to ask their permission to represent them on this website. We will be adding more names and contact information in the coming weeks.
- H. Sudharshan, Karuna Trust, Bengaluru
- D.K. Shrinivasa, Bengaluru
- M.K. Vasundhra, Bengaluru
- N. Girish, NIMHANS, Bengaluru
- Prakash Rao, Jana Arogya Andolana, Bengaluru
- Thelma Narayan and Ravi Narayan, Centre for Public Health and Equity, Bengaluru
- Community Health Cell, Bengaluru
- Balasubramaniam, Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement, H.D. Kotte
- N. Devadasan, Institute of Public Health, Bengaluru
- Gopal Dabade, Drug Action Forum-Karnataka, Dharwad
- Sr. Aquinas, Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Hanur
- Fr. Claude D'Souza, Bengaluru
- Swami Japananda, Pavagada
- M.K. Sudharshan, Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru
- Darshan Shanker, Foundation for Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions, Bengaluru
- Sukhanth Singh, Christian Medical Association of India, Bengaluru
- Prof. Chandra, Tamil Nadu Health Development Forum, Chennai
- Regi George and Lalitha George, Tribal Health Initiative, Sittilingi
- P. Zachariah, Vellore
- Anand Zachariah and Sara Bhattacharya, Christian Medical College, Vellore
- V.R. Muralidharan, IIT, Chennai
- Balaji Sampath, AID-India, Chennai
- Kalpana Balaji, Chennai
- Nandakumar and Shyla, ACCORD, Gudalur
- Nityanand Jayaram, Chennai
- Padmini Swaminathan, Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai
- Prem John, People's Health Movement (Global), Chennai
- Mani Kaliath, Basic Needs, Hyderabad
- Fr. John Vattamattan, Sangamitra, Medak
- Fr. Sebastian Ouseperambil, Catholic Health Association of India, Secundrabad
- Geyanand, Bharat Gyna Vigyan Samithi, Hyderabad
- Veena Shatrugna, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad
- B. Ekbal, KSSP, Kottayam
- Jayan, THANAL, Thiruvananthapuram
- P.O. George, Rajagiri School of Social Sciences
- Geo Jose, National Alliance of People's Movements
- Raman Kutty, AMCHSS, Thiruvananthapuram
- Amar Jesani, Centre for Studies in Ethics and Rights, Mumbai
- Ravi Duggal, CEHAT, Mumbai
- Padma Prakash, Mumbai
- Abhay Shukla and Ananth Phadke, Saathi, Pune
- Nargis Mistry, FRCS, Pune
- Mira Sadgopal, Tathapi Trust, Pune
- Manisha Gupte, Pune
- Dhruv Mankad and Shyam Ashtekar, YRCOU, Nashik
- Sashikant Ahankari, HALO, Aurangabad
- Rajnikant Arole, Comprehensive Rural Health Programme, Jamkhed
- Rani Bang and Abhay Bang, SEARCH, Gadchiroli
- Ashok Dayalchand, IRHM, Pachod
- Ullas Jajoo and S.P. Kalanthri, MGIMS, Wardha
- Ashok Bhargava and Latha Desai, IDEAL, Ahmedabad
- Hanif Lakdavalla and Sheeba George, SANCHETANA, Ahmedabad
- Mirai Chatterjee, SEWA, Ahmedabad
- Dileep Mavalankar, IIM, Ahmedabad
- Chinu Shrinivasan, LOCOST, Vadodara
- Renu Khanna, SAHAJ, Vadodara
- Nimita Bhat, RTU Trust, Vadodara
- Narendra Gupta, Prayas, Chittorgarh
- Shivachandra, State Institute of Health and Family Welfare, Jaipur
- Ajay Khare, Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samithi, Bhopal
- Vinod Raina, Eklavya, Bhopal
- Satyanath Sarangi, Sambhavana Trust, Bhopal
- Binayak Sen, People's Union for Civil Liberties, Raipur
- Anurag Bhargav, Raman Kataria, Bishwaroop Chatterjee, Yogesh Jain, Ravi D'Souza and Ramani D'Souza, Jan Swasthya Sahayog, Bilaspur
- Raman, SHRC, Raipur
- K.R. Anthony, SHRC, Raipur
- Saibal Jana and Alpana Jana, Shaheed Hospital, Dalli Rajhara
- D.P. Poddar, West Bengal Voluntary Health Association, Kolkota
- Child In Need Institute, Kolkota
- Pankaj Mehta, Kolkota
- Prabir Chatterjee, Kolkota
- Debabar Banerjee, Nucleus for Health Policies and Programmes, New Delhi
- Mira Shiva, New Delhi
- Ritupriya, Mohan Rao, Ramabaru and Nayar, Centre for Social Medicine and Community Health, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- Imrana Quadeer, New Delhi
- C. Sathyamala, New Delhi
- Amit Sengupta, Delhi Science Forum, New Delhi
- T. Sundaraman, National Health Systems Resource Centre, New Delhi
- Sarojini, SAMA, New Delhi
- Vandhana Prasad, New Delhi
- Voluntary Health Association of India, New Delhi
- Christian Medical Association of India, New Delhi
- Public Health Foundation of India
- C.S. Pandav, All India Institute of Medical Studies, New Delhi
- Siddarth Ramaji, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Jean Dreze, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
10 must read books on community health in India
- Health For All Now! A People's Health Resource Book, a compilation of 5 booklets prepared for the First National Health Assembly of the Jan Swasthya Abhiyan in December 2000.
- Second National Health Assembly booklets complied for the Second National Health Assembly in March 2007.
- Rakku's Story: Structures of Ill-Health and the Source of Change by Sheila Zurbrigg.
- Taking Sides: Why health care does not reach the poor? by C. Sathyamala, Nirmala Sundharam and Nalini Bhanot.
- Jamkhed by Rajnikant Arole and Mabel Arole.
- Reaching India's Poor by Saroj Pachauri.
- In Search of a Diagnosis, Healthcare: Which way to go?, Under The Lens: Health and Medicine and Medical Education Re-examined, four anthologies by Medico Friends Circle
- Poverty, Class and Health Culture (1982) by Debabar Banerji.
- Health For All: An Alternative Strategy - A report by ICSSR and ICMR
- An Analysis of Health Policies and Programmes in India in the Eighties by Debabar Banerji
- State of India's Health by VHAI
10 must read books on the global context of community health
- Questioning the Solution: The Politics of Primary Health Care and Child Survival by David Werner and David Sanders
- Just and Lasting Change by Daniel Taylor-Ide and Carl Taylor
- Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer
- Global Health Watch publications by PHM, MedAct and GEGA
- Global Health: An Introductory Textbook by Hans Rosling et.al.
10 must see websites on community health and Health For All
- phmovement.org - Global People's Health Movement website. Also includes webpages on the International People's Health University, the First People's Health Assembly and the Second People's Health Assembly.
- phm-india.org - Jan Swasthya Abhiyan website
- who.int - World Health Organisation website
- mfcindia.org - Medico Friend Circle website.
- infochangeindia.org - InfoChange portal
- indiatogether.org - IndiaTogether portal
- politicsofhealth.org - Politics of Health Knowledge Network website.
- twnside.org.sg - Third World Network website
- gapminder.org - Unveiling the beauty of statistics for a fact based world view.
Watch movies and documentaries
- Health Matters by Shiksha Jingan
- Community Health: The search for an alternative paradigm by HAFA
- Ramakka's Story
Find out about upcoming events on the Current events page.
Join mailing lists and discussion groups
- pha-ncc discussion group
- PHA-Exchange mailing list
- mfriendcircle discussion group
- diseasesurveillance discussion group
- NetRUM discussion group
Read some more
Magazines and newsletters
- Indian Journal of Medical Ethics
- Indian Journal of Community Medicine
- Indian Journal of Public Health
- Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Medico Friend Circle bulletin
- Health and Family Planning Services in India: An Epidemiological, Socio-Cultural and a Political Analysis and a Perspective (1985) by Debabar Banerji.
Visit community based projects
A number of community based projects all over India actively encourage visitors to come and experience grassroot level community health work.
- Comprehensive Rural Health Project, Hanur
- Vivekananda Girijana Kalyana Kendra, B.R. Hills
- Ashwini Hospital, SYVM, H.D. Kotte
Enrol for workshops and short study courses
- International People's Health University short courses
- Community Health Learning Programme by Community Health Cell, Bangalore.
Get a degree
It only takes a minute
Sign a petition, send a fax and do more at Portal: Direct Action